Willys-Overland introduced the CJ3B in 1953, the same year that the Willys-Overland was sold to the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation. An obvious close relative to its predecessors, the Willys CJ2A and Willys CJ3A, a key distinctive different of the CJ3B was its increased horsepower.
The CJ2A and CJ3A were limited by horsepower, using the 4-cylinder L-head Go-Devil engine. The CJ3B was the first civilian Willys Jeep to use the new F-Head Hurricane engine.
Visually, the CJ3B took on a different look than the 2A or 3A in that it had a high hood in order to accommodate for the larger engine.
While production of the CJ3B continued through the mid- to late-1960s, it was somewhat overshadowed by newer CJ5 and CJ6 models.